Savory food, thoughts and photos.

A&E | Books | Fashion | Food | Life | Metro | Photos | Thoughts | Misc

06 December, 2005

Shoes, Glorious Shoes

Why do women love shoes? Because shoes are instant feel good makeovers. A sexy pair never fails to lift my spirits and my butt. They're an expensive habit, but certainly cheaper than therapy and less fattening than chocolate.

Actually, what bothers me more than the price tag is what they cost my feet. As an MSNBC article pointed out, when it comes to shoes, modern women are a throwback to Imperial China: just as women of yore endured foot binding for the sake of social status, we suffer through the pain of high heels for the sake of vanity.

I think every woman who cherishes her stilettos would attest to the painful callouses and blisters she has to endure to look good. The same article further enumerates the many other maladies shoe afficionados suffer from: bunions, hammertoes, neuroma, bursitis and capsulitis, among others. Eww. Definitely not sexy.

Still, I'm not ready to give up the way they make my legs look shapelier and longer than God intended them to be. At the same time, I can't subject my footsies to the constant torture, especially since the damage is cumulative.

I guess compromise is the key. As much as my strappy sandals give me attitude and make me want to strut a la Carrie Bradshaw in Sex in the City, I'll have to save those moments for special occasions and treat my feet gently and kindly in between.

posted at 11:51 PM by City Muse

|

About

I'm a curious dilettante
from Los Angeles, California.

You can also find me @Twitter .

Recent Posts

  • A Box Full of Possibilities
  • In-n-Out Burger's Secret Menu
  • Pillars on Water
  • Santa Monica Pier
  • Miscellaneous Entries
  • Thought Entries
  • Photo Entries
  • Metro Entries
  • Life Entries
  • Food Entries
  • BLOG ARCHIVES




    Blogroll

    CITY
    LAist
    LA Observed
    Metroblogging L.A.

    FOOD
    Eater L.A.
    Slashfood
    Simply Recipes

    THOUGHTS
    Feministing
    Freakonomics
    The Dilbert Blog

    MISC
    Jason Calacanis

    Photo Gallery


    Recent Comments








    frontpage hit counter
    hits since 11-30-05
    All images ©2005 city muse.