Savory food, thoughts and photos.

A&E | Books | Fashion | Food | Life | Metro | Photos | Thoughts | Misc

16 May, 2006

Net Freak

When my internet connection wigged out a while back, I was not amused. I've become dependent on it for a lot of things.

It's the first thing I turn on in the morning instead of the tv, reading the news and political blogs with my coffee. At night, I check out others' journals and write on my own, send e-mails, do my banking or a little shopping. I even borrow books from the library online.

It was hard to go through the day without it, much less weeks. I felt disconnected and out of touch, like the world was moving on without me. Being on the internet gave me a sense of power. Information, convenience and personal interaction was just a click away.

Sure, I found other things to do: read books and magazines, talked on the phone, tidied up the house, went out with friends. But there was a piece missing in the puzzle of my day. I got antsy and my itchy clicker finger kept searching for my mouse.

"You're addicted to the computer," my brother said.

"Am not," I shot back. "I can quit anytime I want!"

Really.

He just snickered at me.

Are you a net freak? How long can you go without it?

posted at 1:31 PM by City Muse

|

About

I'm a curious dilettante
from Los Angeles, California.

You can also find me @Twitter .

Recent Posts

  • Weird Snacking
  • The Queen Mary Up Close
  • The Queen Across the Bay
  • The Queen Mary
  • The Dome
  • I'm Sick
  • How Opal Mehta Got Busted
  • One Birthday to Rule Them All
  • A New Look
  • A Band of One
  • BLOG ARCHIVES




    Blogroll

    CITY
    LAist
    LA Observed
    Metroblogging L.A.

    FOOD
    Eater L.A.
    Slashfood
    Simply Recipes

    THOUGHTS
    Feministing
    Freakonomics
    The Dilbert Blog

    MISC
    Jason Calacanis

    Photo Gallery


    Recent Comments








    frontpage hit counter
    hits since 11-30-05
    All images ©2005 city muse.