Savory food, thoughts and photos.

A&E | Books | Fashion | Food | Life | Metro | Photos | Thoughts | Misc

23 November, 2006

Thanksgiving Dinner

I've never cooked a turkey for Thanksgiving, and the streak remained unbroken this year.

It sounds funny coming from a foodie and avid cook like me, but I'm intimidated cooking something so... big. Actually, that's inaccurate because I've made roast beef countless times, but roasting beef is different. All the marbled fat gives me confidence.

I don't have that built-in advantage with turkey. The skin is so thin compared to the rest of the bird which is so... big. I'm terrified that my turkey would turn out so dry I'll forever be remembered as the host who ruined Thanksgiving.

Fortunately, my family isn't big on turkey so I can get away with it. It's not like they end up hungry or anything. Besides, we've made a deal: if they get a craving for turkey, then it's Thanksgiving at my cousin's house.

This year, I made country-style beef ribs in a honey barbecue sauce, creamed corn, garlic mashed potatoes and green beans sautéed in almond butter.

It's been another rough year for our family. A young cousin who's been suffering from cancer died on the same day that an uncle died from a stroke.

Another reminder that life is precious, and that every chance to celebrate another Thanksgiving with those we love is a good Thanksgiving, turkey or no turkey.


posted at 11:06 PM by City Muse

|

About

I'm a curious dilettante
from Los Angeles, California.

You can also find me @Twitter .

Recent Posts

  • Cuteness Overload
  • Penne Italiano
  • Skin Deep
  • Shoreline Village At Dusk
  • Shoreline Village in Black and White
  • A Sad Ballad
  • Uhm, Eew?
  • Customer Relations
  • A Time to Be Frivolous
  • Uncommon Courtesy
  • BLOG ARCHIVES




    Blogroll

    CITY
    LAist
    LA Observed
    Metroblogging L.A.

    FOOD
    Eater L.A.
    Slashfood
    Simply Recipes

    THOUGHTS
    Feministing
    Freakonomics
    The Dilbert Blog

    MISC
    Jason Calacanis

    Photo Gallery


    Recent Comments








    frontpage hit counter
    hits since 11-30-05
    All images ©2005 city muse.