Savory food, thoughts and photos.

A&E | Books | Fashion | Food | Life | Metro | Photos | Thoughts | Misc

30 April, 2007

Twittertastic

I didn't get Twitter at first; I thought it was voyeuristic and frankly, a bit pathetic. Why would anyone read morse code-like posts by someone whose life is probably more mundane than theirs? But now I do get it, and the gray box on my sidebar tells you I've become a Twitter user myself.

Turns out Twitter isn't about obsessively tracking down a person's whereabouts at any given time of day (although some probably do that, especially with all the cool kids doing it nowadays). It's about that person keeping in touch through a quick and simple platform. Think of it as blogging on the run, a cathartic release of pent up thoughts, without the need for writing more than a blurb to do it ("tweets" are limited to 140 characters).

I've also seen Twitter used in different ways; instead of tweets about what they're doing at the moment, some people use it as a way to pass on an idea or something interesting they saw or thought about. Some even use it to display their talent for comic one-liners.

Twitter may just be a fad, the latest online distraction vying for our already short attention spans, but for now I'm having fun with the sweet brevity and ease of it.

And yes, I sometimes spy on other users through Twittervision and its display of real time "tweets" from all over the world. As silly as it seems, there's something comforting about being plugged in to the cacophony of humanity online any time I want.

Tags: ,

posted at 9:30 PM by City Muse

|

About

I'm a curious dilettante
from Los Angeles, California.

You can also find me @Twitter .

Recent Posts

  • Hooked on Fado
  • Do You Famima!! ?
  • The Perils of Penitence
  • Semana Santa
  • Frenchy's Bistro
  • Love and Respect
  • The Science of Love
  • The Lady in Gold
  • Too Much Of A Good Thing
  • Inner Vicious
  • BLOG ARCHIVES




    Blogroll

    CITY
    LAist
    LA Observed
    Metroblogging L.A.

    FOOD
    Eater L.A.
    Slashfood
    Simply Recipes

    THOUGHTS
    Feministing
    Freakonomics
    The Dilbert Blog

    MISC
    Jason Calacanis

    Photo Gallery


    Recent Comments








    frontpage hit counter
    hits since 11-30-05
    All images ©2005 city muse.