Savory food, thoughts and photos.

A&E | Books | Fashion | Food | Life | Metro | Photos | Thoughts | Misc

01 September, 2007

Vroom Vroom

Yikes. It's called lane splitting, but hair raising is more like it.


My father used to pick me up from grade school on his motorbike, and in my Catholic school uniform I would ride side saddle behind him, my arms wrapped tightly around his waist because I was terrified of falling off. I was the envy of the whole school for being the girl lucky enough to have such a cool dad.

I was never a speed junkie, and tight squeezes like the ones on the video clip would definitely freak me out -- luckily, it happened rarely because we lived in a relatively small town and he never rode it on the freeway -- but I have fond memories of riding my dad's bike, especially when he took me to visit relatives in the country.

There, on the open road, my initial feelings of apprehension would dissipate: I would raise my head with my eyes closed, soaking up the sun and enjoying my hair being whipped around by the wind, as my dad revved up his Honda, zooming through endless acres of golden rice fields.

My mother didn't think it was cool, though. I don't recall her ever riding that bike, but I do recall her arguing with my dad about getting rid of it. She finally got her wish one day when my father drove it off into a ditch; he walked away with just scrapes and bruises, but the bike was a goner.

He never did replace it with another one. I was practically a teen by then, and my younger brother was almost a year old. I guess he finally decided it was time to grow up and get that family car.

[via LAist]

Label(s): Life
Technorati Tags: , ,

posted at 12:05 AM by City Muse

|

About

I'm a curious dilettante
from Los Angeles, California.

You can also find me @Twitter .

Recent Posts

  • Fresh Berries And Figs With Honey And Mascarpone
  • Keepon Dancing
  • Pretty Ugly
  • Short Takes
  • Favorite Joke
  • Wipeout
  • Patriotic Fireworks
  • The News on Paris
  • Psychedelic Ride
  • Merienda
  • BLOG ARCHIVES




    Blogroll

    CITY
    LAist
    LA Observed
    Metroblogging L.A.

    FOOD
    Eater L.A.
    Slashfood
    Simply Recipes

    THOUGHTS
    Feministing
    Freakonomics
    The Dilbert Blog

    MISC
    Jason Calacanis

    Photo Gallery


    Recent Comments








    frontpage hit counter
    hits since 11-30-05
    All images ©2005 city muse.