Savory food, thoughts and photos.

A&E | Books | Fashion | Food | Life | Metro | Photos | Thoughts | Misc

20 December, 2007

Holiday Wish List

A fashion maven in the late 1920's gave advice on the ideal gift for women:

I shall not speak about men at this time. Any clever woman knows well what any man wants. But for her critical sisters it is more difficult. I have had no small occasions to observe the ladies, and I find that in most cases they love best the small extravagance of life. Only the unimaginative like the utilitarian gift. A bottle of perfume, a scarf, a jewel, a bag, powder, rouge, a negligee, a flower, anything that is not an actual necessity, but a charming extravagance, is an agreeable gift to almost any woman.
Yes, girly gifts are nice, but I find them boring sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I like being spoiled with them, but not all the time. They're just too predictable. Also, they're mostly a matter of personal taste; unless it's something I've used or tried on before, I don't know if I'd like what I get.

Besides, how much perfume, makeup, bags and jewelry can one woman need? I think womankind just let out a collective shriek of "what are you, nuts?" over that one, but for me there is such a thing as too much, because I'm into more than just pretty things.

Now if you're talking Daniel Craig as James Bond wrapped in a pretty red bow, that's a different story.

Via.

Label(s): Thoughts
Technorati Tags:

posted at 5:02 PM by City Muse

|

About

I'm a curious dilettante
from Los Angeles, California.

You can also find me @Twitter .

Recent Posts

  • Political Greetings
  • Holiday Links
  • Papillon
  • Left Out In The Cold
  • News Around Town
  • Tabloidtopia
  • Indexed Thoughts
  • Fetuccine Al Tonno
  • Those Were The Days
  • News Around Town
  • BLOG ARCHIVES




    Blogroll

    CITY
    LAist
    LA Observed
    Metroblogging L.A.

    FOOD
    Eater L.A.
    Slashfood
    Simply Recipes

    THOUGHTS
    Feministing
    Freakonomics
    The Dilbert Blog

    MISC
    Jason Calacanis

    Photo Gallery


    Recent Comments








    frontpage hit counter
    hits since 11-30-05
    All images ©2005 city muse.