Savory food, thoughts and photos.

A&E | Books | Fashion | Food | Life | Metro | Photos | Thoughts | Misc

03 December, 2007

Chocolate Kissed Peanut Butter Cookies


As I mentioned previously, I went cooking crazy last Thanksgiving. These delicious peanut butter chocolate lovelies were the first of two types of cookies I made along with other sweets.

I like peanut butter and I like chocolate, so it was a matter of time before I rummaged the web for a good peanut butter and chocolate cookie recipe. Now mind you, I didn't want peanut butter chocolate chip cookies; I prefer peanut butter cookies with just a smidge of chocolate on top, to get pure peanut butter in some bites and a peanut butter/chocolate combo in others.

This recipe fits the bill. I couldn't attribute the source because I didn't save the link, but if anyone knows which site it's from, let me know and I will gladly note it here.

The original recipe suggested I press a whole Hershey's Chocolate Kiss on top; I replaced that with Ghirardelli milk chocolate squares. The warm cookies will melt the chocolate in a minute or two, at which point you can make pretty swirls of them with the tip of a knife.

Be warned: the mouthwatering smell of peanut butter will permeate your kitchen, and these cookies will be irresistible right out of the oven, but they'll be hot and so is the melted chocolate on top which takes longer than the cookies to cool. At least blow on it before taking a bite or risk getting the roof of your mouth scorched with molten chocolate!

There are chewy, chock full of flavor cookies. I've used both chunky and creamy peanut butter with equal success. You can even use low fat peanut butter and it's just as good.

Chocolate Kissed Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. butter/margarine softened
1/4 c. shortening
1 egg

1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 doz. chocolate kisses or squares


Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix the first set of ingredients. Add the second set of ingredients. Put spoonful sized portions of the dough on a cookie sheet, 12 drops at a time, slightly flattening them with a fork. Make sure they have space between to expand. Cook for 8-10 minutes.

Take out cookies and cool on a rack. While cooling, press chocolate pieces in the middle of each cookie.

Makes two dozen cookies.

Label(s): Food

posted at 6:10 PM by City Muse

|

About

I'm a curious dilettante
from Los Angeles, California.

You can also find me @Twitter .

Recent Posts

  • College Mottos
  • Aww, Shucks
  • Care For Some Pie?
  • Luciano Pavarotti, 1935-2007
  • Vroom Vroom
  • Fresh Berries And Figs With Honey And Mascarpone
  • Keepon Dancing
  • Pretty Ugly
  • Short Takes
  • Favorite Joke
  • BLOG ARCHIVES




    Blogroll

    CITY
    LAist
    LA Observed
    Metroblogging L.A.

    FOOD
    Eater L.A.
    Slashfood
    Simply Recipes

    THOUGHTS
    Feministing
    Freakonomics
    The Dilbert Blog

    MISC
    Jason Calacanis

    Photo Gallery


    Recent Comments








    frontpage hit counter
    hits since 11-30-05
    All images ©2005 city muse.